12 whole fresh baby bella mushrooms
1 tablespoon Botticelli Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 small onion, diced
2 hot Italian sausage links, casings removed
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Clean mushrooms with a damp paper towel and carefully break off the stems, discarding the tough bottom end of the stem. Dice remaining portion of mushroom stems.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or spray with cooking spray) and place cleaned mushroom caps on baking sheet, cavity side up.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chopped mushroom stems to the skillet and saute for 3 minutes or until the mushrooms have begun to release their moisture. Add diced onions and Italian sausage (tip: use a potato masher to break up the meat) and cook until the sausage is no longer pink. Add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes more.
- Add cream cheese, Parmesan, black pepper and onion powder to the meat mixture, stir to combine (mixture should be very thick). Set aside until cool to the touch, about 15 minutes.
- Using a little spoon, fill each mushroom cap with a generous amount of sausage/ cheese filling.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes in the preheated oven or until the mushrooms are piping hot and liquid starts to pool under the mushroom caps.
Source: Adventures of a Gluten Free Mom